Monday, February 22, 2010

A Few Ironic Thoughts on Technology


Can you imagine a life without technology? I got a taste of it last week and was none too happy. My computer decided to conk out, so for five days I didn't have a car or a computer. It was a dark time. Not having a car in LA is hard enough. My computer is my link to the outside world. Without that link, it was just me and my thoughts . . . and it got dark.

Now that I have my computer back (minus the hard drive, and therefore minus ALL my stuff- pics, scripts I wrote, resumes, everything) I'm thinking that we (or me anyway) are way too dependent on technology. I mean, for my career it's necessary because submitting online is how I get most of my auditions, but as a whole? Damn. I miss focusing on human relationships in person. I long for those late night conversations while actually hearing my friends' voices. True, it's easier to keep up with more people via social networking sites, but it also takes something real away.

How many times when pulling out your camera with friends are you thinking, "this'll make a kick ass facebook photo?" Facebook "relationship status's" have actually become a real way of determining where you stand with people you're dating. What's his status say? "It's complicated?" Oh, well good that's cleared up then. Guess we don't need to have "the talk." I mean, when my ex and I broke up, one of the first things we talked about was changing our status's to "single" It's just weird. I'm not saying that social networking sites are bad. I just think that sometimes they hold so much importance in people's lives that they miss out on actually living.

I dunno, maybe I'm just feeling more isolated than usual without my friends and without a car and all. I know things will get easier. And when they do, I'm sure I'll still be updating my status to say how happy I am. In the meantime, I'm going to attempt to live in person more. Because when it comes down to it, having fun with actual people is a helluva lot more joyous than having fun with just you and your computer.

Addendum: As I was out to dinner with a friend tonight, I literally grabbed my phone and said, "hold on, I have to update my facebook status." I'm addicted. Is it the need to be known? The desire to have someone care? The want of some kind of connection? Is technology detrimental to human relationships or actually beneficial? I don't know. Let's discuss.

No comments:

Post a Comment