Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Growing up and Having Balls


So I'm starting to get a lot of auditions. Nothing big yet. Just small indies and student films. BUT I can't get to some of them because I don't have a stupid car yet. (Yes, I just whined that sentence.) I was declined by Toyota Financial. Nothing makes you feel less like an adult than having to call your parents asking them to co-sign an application because you can't get a car on your own. All the more reason to live in NYC. What really pisses me off is that I missed a callback. I can't get a car because I don't have any money. I can't make any money because I don't have a car. Life is a big catch-22.

Yeah yeah, I know, I'm living the dream, yadda yadda yadda. I'm just a bit tired of my dream consisting of ramen noodles as my main meal of the day and sleeping on a bed that feels like a slab of rock. I know I shouldn't be complaining- there are so many worse things going on in the world. But I'm hungry and tired and just want to work NOW. Patience never was a virtue that I was blessed with.

Most of the auditions that I've made it to have been great. I've been getting really good feedback and more importantly feel good about my performances. I think I'm being a lot more laid back and natural in my performances than I was in New York which is good because being too "actory" was always my biggest problem. There was however one audition that was a mess. . .

I managed to finagle a ride from a friend and headed over to USC's campus (one of the best, if not the very best film school in the country) and walked in . . . to a stairwell. I looked around. Was this really where I was supposed to be? None of my other auditions at USC were like this. . . They were usually quite professional for student films. I sauntered up the stairs looking for a sign in sheet and was informed by a fellow actor that there was none. Really?!?! I don't know if I've ever been to an audition with so many people and no sign in sheet. I mean, use a napkin for all I care, but there has to be some order! But alas, there was none. I sat in the cold stairwell listening to the "producer" have actors one by one read the entire 10 page script behind a suspicious looking door. I waited around for an hour and finally decided I couldn't make my ride wait any longer so I gave my headshot and resume to the producer for future castings. He looked shocked that I was actually leaving. Mind you, it was 10pm by this time and my audition was scheduled for 9pm. Apparently most actors out here don't stick up for themselves or have balls. I guess I grew mine in New York.

Other than auditions, not much else is really going on. My social life is pretty good, though one of my closest friends out here was in a major car accident. He'll be ok in a couple months and I've gathered some movie ideas by spending time visiting him in the hospital. . . hey you have to get your inspiration from somewhere. I miss all my friends back east, but there is room on my friend card for everyone :) In the meantime I'll be working on trying to convince Toyota that regardless of my career choice, I am indeed (gasp) . . . an adult.

1 comment:

  1. Tell Toyota that they should pay you to take one of their death traps off their hands. Right?

    ReplyDelete