Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Grabbing the Reigns

Alright everyone. So here's the deal. For various reason (ALL career driven), I will be going back to NYC for a spell. I don't know for how long, but you never really know with me. I'm just letting the wind blow me in whatever direction it thinks I should go. My original plan was to move out here to LA for three months as sort of a test run. There have been many successes (and of course a few failures) and I have a pretty good idea of what my life would look like if I stayed. . . and I'm not a big fan. I'm not particularly thrilled with things I learned about the entertainment industry out here. Namely, with what people do to "make it." At this point in my life I think I can be more successful in NYC, especially since I have more connections out there. There are tons of reasons why I believe that, and I have weighed my options heavily. That's not to say I won't be back. I'm positive that my career will lead me back to LA several times. But that doesn't mean I have to live here.

For some reason, a few people that have caught wind of this are deciding to be extremely judgmental. I realize that this is partially my fault because I put myself out there so much on this blog and on facebook, but come on guys. I've gotten everything from, "I told you not to leave New York," to "Oh, you're just giving up? You're a quitter." Anyone who knows anything about me knows that I do everything for the sake of acting and that I have never been a quitter. As my sister pointed out, "People just try to convince you to do what they did to validate their own choices." Which is why I've been thinking very hard about this for a good two weeks and have only asked the advice of those closest to me that I know will not try to influence me one way or another.

When it comes down to it, I did what I came out here to do. I in no way regret the past three months. They were a growing phase that I desperately needed. I am more confident in my abilities (both acting and "life") than ever before and I am ready to hit NYC with a force that I didn't previously possess. I needed these past three months here. And nothing is set in stone. I have two auditions this week for things shooting in middle america this summer so who knows what could happen. I'm not ruling anything out.

I'm grabbing my life by the reigns and doing what is best for me. As my (apparently very wise) little sis also said, "You have to have the courage to go against the grain." That's what I'm doing.

Grabbing the reigns to go against the grains.

1 comment:

  1. better to regret something you did than something you didn't do

    ReplyDelete