Monday, October 18, 2010

Good New York Vibes

It suddenly strikes me just how narcissistic blogging is. I mean, I guess the whole point of having a blog is to have an online diary, but really . . . why would I think that anyone would care about anything I have to say? Anyway, just some thoughts. It seems silly that we all care so much about the tiny details in life when there are people starving and dying from evil and war. Then again, if we didn't bask in the tiny details of our lives and if we instead dwelled on how terrible the world could be then we'd probably all sink into deep depressions and become shells of one another. And what fun would life be if we were all shells? Anyway . . . please excuse the tangent.

A couple weeks ago I was on my way to a job when a guy came onto the subway singing. Now normally, this would go almost unnoticed. It seems like there is always someone singing on the subway. Whether it's a homeless man trying to make some extra change, or if it's a barbershop quartet that you know has rehearsed for hours. But this man . . . this man was different. He had a giant smile on his face and made eye contact in a way that made your soul grin. And then it happened.

"Sometime in our lives we all have pain
We all have sorrow
But if we are wise we know that there's
Always tomorrow"

And then the first person joined in.

"Lean on me when you're not strong and
I'll be your friend, I'll help you carry on"

Two more joined.

"For it won't be long till I'm gonna need
Somebody to lean on."

Six people are now singing. Including myself.

"Just call on me brother when you need a hand
We all need somebody to lean on
I just might have a problem that you'd understand
We all need somebody to lean on."

Half the Subway car.

"Lean on me when you're not strong
And I'll be your friend
I'll help you carry on
For it won't be long till I'm gonna need
Somebody to lean on."

It was an amazing New York moment. In this day and age where we are bombarded with horrible news stories everyday, one person had a message. And he left a whole subway car smiling ear to ear with a whole new positive outlook on life. "Lean on me," the stranger says. Because as many bad people that there may be in the world, there sure are a heckofalotof good ones too. And that one morning on my way to a job, I happened to be in a subway car full of them.

2 comments:

  1. LOVE this post!!! Moments like this are exactly why I live in NYC.

    ps. Blogging is another way for you to utilize your gift as an uplifter. Jus' sayin'...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! Just came across your blog. I'm an up and coming actress in the DC area. I plan on moving to NYC in the Summer. Can't wait! Enjoying your blog thus far.

    ReplyDelete