Friday, October 22, 2010

Sail Away



Every Tuesday until this week, I got to go sailing around the city. I was working as a wine connoisseur on a boat. It was one of the most amazing experiences of my life. Who ever would have thought that I would become a sailor in New York City? Granted, I didn't help out much (except to get out of the way of the crew), but it was mind blowing.

The stresses of living in New York City are insane. It's hard to get away from people. I used to think that every day here was a fight, but now I see it more as a gift. Your attitude towards the city determines which kind of experience you are going to have. Do you go aggressively out into the street just daring people to walk into you? Or do you leave your apartment with a smile on your face and say hi to the neighbors that you pass by?

I digress.

Regardless of your view on the city, it is still difficult to live here. Difficult financially, personally, and career-wise. This city is a prime example of the work hard/play hard mentality. So every Tuesday to me this summer was a blessing. A time where I got to forget all my worries and sail around the statue of liberty at sunset. I could hear nothing but the lap of the water on the boat and could feel nothing but the cool breeze gently caressing my face. And my mind would be cleared. All the financial worries that have plagued me all summer long would vanish. It was an amazing way to recharge each week.

Unfortunately it's a seasonal job so it's over now. Us actors take on odd odd jobs to pay the bills. And this was by far one of my favorite. But at least now when I stress out and worry about all the little things, I can go to a place mentally that will help me remember what life is really about.

No comments:

Post a Comment