Sunday, May 23, 2010

Does Lady Luck Decide Your Fate?

I can't believe I'm the age that I am, (and no I'm not telling how old that may be). Although we all age at the same rate, I seem to be the only one getting any older. And that only means one thing to me. That I have less and less time to "make it" as an actress. Some would argue that I've already made it. After all, I get paid to be in films/on TV/onstage. But I have yet to do something that I am passionately proud of. Part of this is because I'm by far my own worst critic (with the exception of maybe my dad ;) ) and part of it is because I don't have a "name" yet so I'm pretty much restricted to lower budget things.

It's always bothered me that someone else pretty much decides your fate as an actor. Oh, you can take all the classes you want, practice like crazy, and go to tons of seminars, but what it boils down to is being in the right place at the right time. Yes, it takes talent. But it takes a helluva lot of luck too. You can give the best audition of your life, but if the men behind the table don't like you . . . well there's nothing you can do about it.

Or so I thought.

Until I decided to start my own production company. A year ago, I discovered a deep passion for writing that had been buried for years. It stems from the same place as my love for acting. A deep desire for bringing characters to life. Because they're not really "characters" at all. They're you. They're me. They're your best friend. Your worst enemy. Your lover. Your neighbor. The old man down the street that you say hi to every morning. And so much more. I've always wondered while passing by strangers what their story is. What makes them who they are. Where their neurosis stem from.

And now, not only do I get to bring these stories and people to life. I get to create them as well. I get to research and discover why that person is the way that they are. And hopefully through this, I can bring a little light and perspective to other people as well.

And if I happen to be my own Lady Luck? Well that's a pretty damn big bonus.

No comments:

Post a Comment