Saturday, September 10, 2011

Ten Years

I gotta say that this is weird. The tenth anniversary. I think everyone remembers where we were ten years ago. It's even weirder that I have to walk by the World Trade Center to get to work for the next couple days. Although I won't really be able to walk by. At first I was annoyed that I would have to walk about 30 blocks out of my way to get to my job (because most streets down there are closed for the next two days and my boats both depart from right next to the WTC). And then I started to feel bad. Not just feel bad, but watch the news and start sobbing because I thank God I've never had to go through anything like that and can't believe some of my fellow New Yorkers have had to be so strong during literally hell on earth for them.

And then I realized that not only is it a bit weird, but also a bit scary. Because I'm going to be down there, literally on ground zero on the tenth anniversary. And the media (which I know exaggerates to no extent), is talking about how there is going to be another attack tomorrow. After the Earthquake and Hurricane Irene, I know that I should take what the media says with a grain of salt. But it's still a bit unnerving to know that with all the warnings, tons of subways shut down, and roads completely shut off, that I somehow have to still get to work.

But that's what we should do, right? Not be scared. Not let these assholes who attacked us ten years ago to change our lives. So that's what I'll be doing today and tomorrow. I'm going to go to work like normal (even though I'll have to walk a shitload out of my way), be reverent to those who never could have imagined their fate on that horrible day, and be respectful to my country by leading my life like normal.

But we all know it won't be normal. We've all been affected by this. My ex had to stand by as a National Guardsmen at the Pentagon while burning bodies were pulled out. My current had to live in an apartment that smelled like burning bodies for three months. None of this is normal. I can't imagine how those who lost people have gotten by in the past ten years. But we shouldn't forget the affect that the terrorist attacks had on everyone. On humanity. No one should have to go through that. No one.

I'll be praying for everyone even though I don't necessarily believe in a higher power. But I'll still be praying. Just in case. And I'll be sending positive thoughts to everyone in NYC and DC tomorrow (today technically). I love you my fellow New Yorkers. I respect you even more.

Peace and Love,

E

No comments:

Post a Comment