Tuesday, September 15, 2009

I am Robin Hood

In a phone call to a friend last night, she said that a wise man once said to leave New York before it makes you too hard. I’ve been working at Fashion Week for the past week and it has been utter hell. The majority of the people that go into the tent are some of the greediest, most selfish and manipulative people I have ever met in my life. So many of them have this incredible sense of entitlement that I’ve never before experienced. People on the street aren’t much better. Hint* When someone asks you if you would like a gourmet cookie, the proper response is “No, thank you,” not to give dirty looks and not to walk by completely ignoring the fact that someone is speaking to you.

After four days of dealing with greedy, self-righteous people while wearing uncomfortable high heels, I was on the brink of insanity. (btw, why the company spent $400 on Nicole Miller dresses for us and then went to Rampage to buy $20 shoes, is beyond me. If you know your employees are going to be standing in heels for 8 hrs and you obviously have the money then take care of them!) Another friend of mine is working this promotion with me and last night when we got out she and I had a long conversation about how terrible people are, how exhausted we both were, and how sore our throats were. Then I decided, that not all people can be bad and I was going to make my way home and seek out the ones who were good.

Then a man ran a cart into me and screamed, “FUCK YOU BITCH!”

I’m not saying that anywhere else in the world is going to be better, but I’m sure glad that I’m getting out of here in January. I love this city and all it has to offer, but I need a break.

I’ve recently been watching the 3rd season of Robin Hood on the BBC and I’ve decided that I am going to be more like him. I will take from the rich and give to the poor . . . well, ok maybe not exactly but I aspire to be kinder and more helpful to those in need. I won’t let New York harden me. I’ll only let it make me a better person.

No comments:

Post a Comment