Monday, November 2, 2009

I Need a Steak

(I forced the BF and a couple friends to carve pumpkins with me before Halloween)

I was talking to a friend this weekend who was up from Baltimore and she mentioned how she would love to move to New York but not until she could afford the lifestyle she wanted. That got me thinking. When I first moved here, I loved being the starving actress. The brooding misunderstood artist. The one throwing caution to the wind for a dream that I would make come true. I didn’t care that I had no retirement plan or that I was eating Ramin noodles or cereal every night for dinner, (although that changed once the BF moved up because he keeps me well fed). I felt like I was the luckiest person in the world because I knew what I wanted and was going after that.


I still feel lucky, but I am getting over this whole poor thing. In truth, it’s becoming quite a drag. It’s getting old having to make up excuses as to why I can’t go out with my better off friends in order to avoid having that awkward money conversation (Remember that episode of “Friends” where money -or lack there of in Joey and Phoebe’s case- almost broke up their friendship? Yeah, not gonna let that happen). I want to go out for a good steak now and then, but with the downfall of the economy and sheer lack of acting gigs, that hasn’t happened in a long while. Of course, a lot of this could be avoided by moving back to Brooklyn or Queens, but I quite like my village apartment. . . I just wish it didn’t have a leaky ceiling and mold problem.


Anyway, I’m not quite sure what my point is here. Just that somethings got to give. I’m getting too old to still be giving home-made presents at Christmas time or to be squeezing under the subway turnstiles when no ones looking. I find that the people who love New York the most are the ones who have money to enjoy it. So, I’m sending it out into the universe- I’m ready for something big. Let’s do this thing. It’s time to get the ball rolling. I just can't make steak the way restaurants do.

No comments:

Post a Comment