Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Love/Hate Relationship with the City

I tried to go out last night. I really did. Two of my friends, M and LL came over for a couple of drinks and then we wandered the streets like lost little Irish girls trying to find the party. The problem is that there was just too much. Too many college students pushing around and sloshing beer on each other, too many drunk guys asking for high fives, and just too many girls wearing little green skirts. We couldn’t do it. Today, I am not one of the many participating in National Hang Over Day and I feel like I’ve let my people down.

Five years ago, I spent St. Patrick’s Day in Dublin and it’s spoiled me for life. It was pretty magical, though I did end up wandering the streets like a lost Irish girl that night too. A night that ended with my friend Nicola and I in prison . . . because we got lost and couldn’t find the rest of our friends or the hotel room. I think we were the only people who chose to go to jail that night. But that story is for another time.

Anyway, today started out well. I didn't have a hangover, it was warm and sunny (for NYC), my part time job didn't bother me too much, and I had a meeting with a creepy but very talented photographer. I was feeling great about life until I tried to get off the subway this afternoon and an older man body slammed me. In the boobs. And it hurt. I rolled my eyes and said, "Excuse me," and then he proceeded to yell at me! I wanted to scream, "do you not listen to the countless MTA announcements that say let the passengers off the train before you board?!?!?!" I wanted to but I didn't. Instead, I started thinking about how sick I am of inconsiderate people, men who get off on sexually harassing women on the street, and all the hate that I see everyday.

I don't know why I let this stuff bother me so much. Sometimes I am way too sensitive for this city. As I walked home, I started to tear up and hooked an impulsive right into Trader Joe's Wine Shop. The Shop of Cheap Wine That Actually Tastes Good and Makes Everything Better. The lady at the counter took one look at me and said, "long day hon?" I said yes and that I was just tired of mean people. Then she proceeded to say that what goes around comes around and that mean people will eventually get it back ten fold. And she told me to go home and pour myself a large glass of wine. She made me feel so much better. A friendly face in a crowded city. Sometimes all it takes is a stranger to bring us down, and another stranger to bring us back up.

That's why I love this city. It will constantly surprise you and you just never know where the day will take you. And don't worry loves, I will make up for my lack of an eventful St. Patty's day this weekend ;) Now I'm going to attempt to make a pot roast for the Boyfriend which is very uncharacteristic of me. I'll let you know if I burn the apartment down.

No comments:

Post a Comment