Monday, June 22, 2009

Iran- Where is Their Vote?

My weekend accomplishments seemed dwarfed by what is going on in the world right now. I can’t write about things that seem so trivial when there are innocent people being brutally murdered in Iran. Yesterday was father’s day here in the U.S., and I just watched a video on youtube of an innocent girl shot in the heart and dying in her father’s arms in the streets of Iran. I have never ever seen anything so heartbreaking in my entire life. These stories are usually censored by the media, but since the media has been banned in Tehran, we are getting the raw footage from people’s cell phones. It makes me feel closer to what is actually happening. It makes me sick to my stomach. It inspires me.

I hope that this uprising is not futile. I hope this revolution sparks change for the people. I hope that lives are not lost in vain. I need to do something, but I don’t know what. I wish I could be there with the people, supporting them. Since that’s not possible, I researched little ways we can all help and compiled this list:

Social Networking sites are playing a large role right now because media has been banned. People in Iran are posting updates on sites such as Twitter and Youtube. Log into your Twitter, Youtube, and Facebook accounts and stay abreast on information.

People on twitter, pay attention to this forward: “Please set your location to Tehran and your time zone to GMT +3.30. Iranian security forces are hunting for bloggers using location/timezone searches. The more people at this location, the more of a logjam it creates for forces trying to shut access to the internet down.”

Go to local rallies/protests (regardless of your ethnicity) to show your support for the people of Iran.

To learn more and to keep up with current events, go to: http://iran.whyweprotest.net/

PASS THIS INFO ON. Knowledge is power and right now the Iranian people need all the support they can get.

For photos go here.

No comments:

Post a Comment