Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Tripping Through Life

Argh. . . . I'm so frustrated. I just wrote a formidable blog entry filled with humor and drama and it got DELETED. I just had an almost irresistible urge to stab a pen into my computer screen. Anyway, it went something like this:

I am not graceful. Not at all. Any thought of mine that I could ever become a ballerina was completely obliterated today. I snuck out of work to run in the rain to Times Square for an open call for Disney Princess look-alikes. The call was for Disneyland in Hong Kong and since I've been itching for a change lately, I thought I'd give it a whirl. Only, I don't whirl. Not literally anyway. I should have been wary when I saw other girls putting on character shoes and doing stretches. Or when my group walked into the audition room only to find floor to ceiling mirrors and a ballet bar. Or when the choreographer from Disney was introduced and exclaimed, "This will be so easy for all of you. If you can walk, then you can do this."

Apparently I can't walk. The routine was easy enough, but I lacked the grace that a Disney princess would have. Some people practically floated, whereas I was lanky and awkward looking. I've always been a klutz (everytime I do a runway show, my heart starts fluttering in fear that I will fall ala Carrie in Sex in the City). Tee used to tease me all the time for constantly walking into her and I actually tripped down the stairs of Merriweather Post Pavillion during my highschool graduation.

Oh well, I guess I'm not meant to be a princess after all. Being stuck in a tower all day doesn't sound too terrbily exciting anyway.

Funnily enough, I ran into an old friend of mine at the audition. I did a play with her for the Mobtown Players back in Baltimore when I was in college and she was 16, and today she came up from Bmore for the audition. It's so crazy how so much can change throughout the years but our desire to act remains the same.

My cat is trying to take a nap on my keyboard so I think that's my key to exit. I'll try not to trip on anything else tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment