Thursday, June 4, 2009

She's Not Sweating, She's Glowing

Last night I was at one of my many odd jobs. This one entailed me giving out samples of deodorant at a Local Designer Show. It was odd being on the other side of the table this year, because I usually go to the show as a shopper. (This particular show is a very high profile event that happens once a year when a bunch of chic designers get together to showcase and sell their clothing, jewelry, purses, etc). Pros of working the event instead of shopping: I made money instead of spending money, I worked with a good friend of mine, and I still got to look at the crazy, weird, sometimes stylish, sometimes offending outfits people were wearing. Oh and I got loads of free samples of deodorant. (Though that doesn’t really matter since I don’t use deodorant containing antiperspirants because of the aluminum.) Cons: I didn’t get to buy any new clothes (though this is probably a pro considering my current budget) and I didn’t get to take advantage of the open bar (which is a HUGE con).

Another Con: It’s probably not such a good idea to tell the client that her product causes cancer. Let me backtrack- I’ve done quite a bit of research on antiperspirants and have come to the conclusion that nothing good can come out of them. The active ingredient in antiperspirants is aluminum which is used to clog your sweat glands to stop sweat from coming out. There are many many arguments over whether this is dangerous or not, but to me, anything that is used to block something that is supposed to happen naturally can’t be good. That combined with the fact that aluminum is capable of causing DNA damage and has been linked to Alzheimer’s is enough for me to stick with my natural deodorant, thankyouverymuch.

And when the client started to explain to us the difference between antiperspirant and deodorant, (which btw, who doesn’t know the difference in this day and age? Or perhaps I’ve simply read too many beauty magazines…), I blurted out, “the difference is that antiperspirant causes cancer!”

DEAD SILENCE

Client: “Um, well yes it does, but please don’t say that while you’re working.”

Oops.

Me: “Omg, I am so sorry. I just . . . its word vomit . . . it just . . . comes out.”

Client: “Just please don’t ‘word vomit’ when talking to the consumers, ok?”

Me: “Umm, yeah! Sure thing!”

And scene.

This is my life. I give deodorant out to people and get into debates with the client over the health problems their product may be causing. I don’t think they’ll be hiring me as a spokesperson anytime soon . . .

But seriously girls, please reconsider your deodorant. The only reason antiperspirant is even used is because women don’t want to ever be seen sweating. You’ll find that men's deodorants don’t contain them. And come on, a little sweat is kinda sexy, right? I mean, maybe not when it’s coming out of your armpits, but a little natural “glow” never hurt anyone.

Maybe next year I'll stick to just the shopping.

No comments:

Post a Comment