Saturday, July 25, 2009

Paid Auditions

Every time I go to a paid "seminar" (which is really me paying for an audition, however "paid auditions" are illegal so they are called seminars), I swear I will never do it again. Today was no exception. Most of the people that go are agents and casting directors who are just doing it to make a little cash. Us actors go in hopes that one day they will remember us and cast us in something. Oh what dreamers we all are.

Today, I forked over my $200 and auditioned in front of 10 casting directors all at once. Did I get my money's worth? Doubtful. They were supposed to ask me questions afterward but I didn't hear a peep. Except of course for some constructive criticism of my monologue. Don't get me wrong- I appreciated the comment. It was useful and I will probably incorporate what the commenter said into my next audition. But the problem is that she mentioned this in front of all the other casting directors and then didn't let me do it again. For $200 I would have thought I would be able to take her comment and do my monologue again to show that I can follow direction.

Really, I don't know what I was thinking. There are so few jobs to be cast out there right now that these people are probably not even thinking of hiring anyone they saw. I just goes to show how desperate everyone is these days. Desperate for work, desperate for money, desperate just to act.

On another note, I'm really enjoying the play I've been doing. The content is a bit depressing, but I love going into a dressing room every few nights to prepare and then performing onstage with great actors. I only have another week of performances and I have to say I'll be a bit sad when it ends.

Alright, I need to go nurse my beer, fix my knee which I just scraped on the subway stairs, and pay attention to the parents who are in town for the day. I was in Boston yesterday to visit my brand new baby nephew and went to the Harpoon Brewery with my Dad (a great father-daughter activity). Their UFO white is quite delicious. Ahhhh, it makes even the worst audition seem just a bit better.

1 comment:

  1. I just finished reading all your posts. What an enjoyable way to get to know my neighbor! Keep the good stuff coming. We should grab a drink one of these days!

    ReplyDelete