Saturday, May 23, 2009

Business Woman E?

Apologies for my lack of posts this week. I've needed the week to soak up the sunshine and try to thaw out after a long and cold winter. Apparently sun makes you tired and lazy too. The only thing that sucks about laying out on rooftops around here is that there is no body of water to go play in. I just looked at my calendar and the soonest I could go on a vacation is the middle of August. Three months away. Let's hope I can make it.

Thursday evening I went to a SAG seminar about how to market yourself to agents and casting directors. It was great to go to but ended up being a bit overwhelming. Simply because they pointed out several times that making it as an actor has very little to do with talent. It's all about who you know, how you market yourself, and your ability to sell tickets. And that's pretty annoying, but I suppose it's true.

The speaker pointed out that every year 60,000 new actors flood the market trying to make it. 97% of those actors leave the business within three years. She also said that the big "boobie trap" for many actors is that if you think you're talented (which of course all us do) then you don't spend enough time on the business side of things because you think talent will be enough. She then went on to say that we're all different shoes and if someone already has a pair of red patent leather pumps then they're going to be looking for the sneakers instead. But someone will eventually want those red pumps. At this point I turned to the girl next to me as exhasperatedly exclaimed, "But I don't know what shoe I am! I think I might be fringe mocasins."

All in all, I suppose I need to really start honing in on the business side of things. Who knew I would become a business woman? Not today though. Today I am heading over to Water Taxi Beach- New York City's version of a beach. Of course, the water is toxic and blocked off by a fence, but you get the general idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment