Monday, May 11, 2009

Union Schmoonuin

I have turned down so much work lately because it is non-union and I’m not allowed to do it since I’m in SAG (the Screen Actors Guild). Before I just let it go as something I would have to get used to, but I’m starting to get annoyed. Don’t get me wrong, I love my union but we have been working WITHOUT a contract for almost a year now! Many producers do not want to deal with SAG right now since they are still in negotiations, so they are going to the far less expensive and drama free world of non-union. (Okay, not really drama free- that’s a bit of an oxymoron when it comes to actors.) But the clincher for me is that I’ve been offered PAID non-union work and I still have to turn it down. Yes, I could do it and hope no one noticed, but the possible repercussions are not worth it. This is my career we are talking about.

I just had to vent a bit. I feel much better now. Thank you my loyal readers for putting up with my bitching. Let’s hope SAG negotiations can come to a close soon so we can all get back to work. Meanwhile, I guess I should get started on those mailings . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment