Monday, April 20, 2009

Just Keep Swimming

It’s one of those days where I want to curl up and sleep for hours. I didn’t sleep a wink last night because to my horror, I discovered that I have cockroaches in my apartment. Huge cockroaches. I was so afraid that they’d crawl on me in my sleep that I tossed and turned all night and now I’m exhausted. I also feel like I’ve come down with the flu, which would totally suck since I thought I made it through the winter safely. I’m about to leave the part time job and go to a promotional interview (I do promos on the side to make extra money- I’ve done everything from dressing up as a scuba diver with a giant 10 foot blow up fish to handing out free bottles of shampoo- yes, this is my life).

Then tonight I have an audition. I really don’t want to go to this audition. A) Because it’s late which is annoying because discount theatre space starts at 7:30pm so I know that they’re cheap, which isn’t an actual problem unless it means that they’re also too cheap to buy actors things like food and water. B) Because this is supposedly for a lead role and the sides consist of three lines. This is the lead and ya couldn’t come up with something better to read than three disjointed lines? C) Because it’s raining out and I have a fever. D) Because enough time will elapse between my interview and the audition for me to go home and take a nap and I’m afraid I won’t be able to wake up for it. E) Because it hurts to walk from the blister I got from those cute spring shoes I was wearing this weekend. F) Because I have a fever. G) Because I have a fever. H) Because I have a fever.

Yes, I know I’m just complaining. Sometimes, you just need to bitch. And it doesn’t help that I failed to realize it was in the 40’s, cold, windy and rainy and I wore flip flops and a beautiful leather jacket today with no umbrella. But in the competitive world of acting, you really can’t afford to take a day off. So I’m going to push through. Just keep swimming.

Addendum- I feel really bad complaining when there are things like war and starvation and hatred and awfulness in the world. Roaches are really nothing compared to that.

No comments:

Post a Comment