Sunday, April 26, 2009

Just Swing

Ah, nothing like home cooked meals and crisp green grass to lie in while surrounded by family and fresh air. This weekend was exactly what I needed. Refreshing and comforting. I feel a million times better about everything. After my sister-in-law and bro’s baby shower (and everyone gushing over the cutest little outfits and mini slippers), I met up with my oldest bff, Tee and her husband, Kilt. Tee and Kilt met around the same time as the BF and I, but they got married almost two years ago whereas the BF and I prefer living in sin. Anyway, Tee and I are always on the same wavelength. We have wonderful conversations about growing up, where we fit in now, and who we are (or trying to figure out who we are). She always makes me feel better about not having all of the answers.

We all took our beer up to my childhood playground on Saturday night and played. We just horsed around (as my Mom would say), swinging on the swing sets and sliding down the slides, and it was AWESOME! As I was swinging up high into the trees and staring at the stars I had a sudden moment of clarity. I remembered many years ago, swinging on the same swing set trying to reach the trees and yearning for the day I would soar above them. I knew it wouldn’t happen in my hometown. I realized that it would take hard work, sweat, and tears but that I would one day fly. As I swung into the sky remembering this on Saturday night, I realized that the nagging feeling I had as a child was gone. I wasn’t just wishing anymore, I was doing it. I am actively trying. A part of me will always be that child aching for the sky, but it feels good to know that I am paving my way to get there. I’m not just longing anymore. The swing will only take you so far- I am now building my own wings to soar above.

Yes, some good home lovin' was just what the doctor ordered. And it doesn’t hurt that I got a call about attending a second round of callbacks for an awesome film I auditioned for a while ago. I’m still building those wings. One feather at a time.

1 comment:

  1. Kilt and I had a blast. We love you both. Can't wait to visit you in NYC again.

    ReplyDelete